Thursday, October 18, 2012

English Literacy in our Working Environment

Do you guys ever wonder about how our English class would be useful for us later on? For me, I do not see the connection between writing essay and doing Information System works. There is no way my boss would hire me based on how good my essays are, so I always feel that writing essay is only an obligation for me as a student. However, there is also a part of me that curious whether my belief is true or not, so I asked Cameron Taslim, one of my friends who I interviewed for my previous blog. He  is currently working in IT department, so I believe I can get an idea whether learning writing and reading in college would be useful for our work-life or not.

Cameron told me that even though the writing and reading that he does at this work is not exactly the same as the teaching that we get in our English class, yet it is still helpful for us to know professional writing skill, because nobody would hire someone that cannot write in a good manner. Meaning that it has to look professional, understandable, and clear. Furthermore, he told me that the only reading he would have in his department is progress report and technical report. Progress report is a report send to the IT department for them to see how the IT system working in the office environment, is it working properly? Is there any known issue going on? On the other hand, technical report is a report send to the IT department if there is any known issue that has been spotted before. These report requires a good reading skill because you have to understand all the small details, so he assumed that reading in school should help a lot in this area. 

On the other hand, Cameron explained to me that good writing skill is a must for his department. His department is the one who wrote all the company policies and web documents. So, without good writing skill there is no way you will be able to write a professional-looking policy. He told me a story about how there was someone in his department who never took English classes seriously, and when he was asked to write the policy he really had a hard time to do it, not because he is stupid or anything like that, but he does not understand the concept of a good writing. Even though many of you guys might never even bother to read a company policy, yet it is still important to write it professionally because for those who cares about the small details these kind of things would be crucial. So, obviously that writing skill that we learnt from our school would be very useful for our job later on.

Learning this from Cameron changes my perspective about English literacy that we learn in our school. Even though I still believe that essay is not the most effective way for us to learn it, yet now I believe that we should try to absorb as many knowledge as possible about writing and reading from our school life because it might be one of the things that determine whether we would get a job or not.

I found a very interesting video on YouTube about how a mute person trying to explain that writing skill is very important for our job. (For those of you that does not understand the sign language like me, you can click "show more" on the description box. Here is the video :

3 comments:

  1. We can't escape from writing. It is interesting to look at and compare how much you will actually use the reading and writing skills that you learn in school and apply them in your job field. Your profession does not exactly have you writing an essay but you are reporting things that are going on within your field. You see that good writing skills will take you far and open you up to more areas of work even in the field of Information Systems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good writing skills are needed in every field. I think that as much as we try to get away from it, the more it haunts us in our future careers. I would believe that working in the field of information system, you would have to write a lot because even if you are mainly working with technology, you still have to have good writing skill in order to communicate with others via email in order to share certain information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand how essays are something that you may never write in your career. However, essays help students structure their thoughts to the paper. Writing effectively is crucial and essays do help writers achieve this. I myself have never enjoyed academic writing, but it does improve our writing skills.

    ReplyDelete