Thursday, November 1, 2012

Education path for Information System Descipline


I have been writing about Information System related topics for my blog posts and I hope by now some of you might find this discipline interesting or at least planning to get to know this study more than before. In this blog post, I would like to talk about what classes I took for my Associate Degree and what I am taking or planning to take in order to get my Bachelor degree in Information System.

Like what I have said in some of my posts, I started my study in City College of San Francisco majoring in Computer Information Science. I needed to take two Computer Science classes in which I could choose between three programming language which are C++, Java, or Visual Basic. Of course I have no right to force you guys to choose which language you should pick, but I believe before you take Java and Visual Basic you need to master C++ first. I believe that C++ is the basic of all languages, so that if you know how to work with C++, you should be able to learn other languages easily. I took Introduction to C++ which is CS 110A in City College and I took Intermediate level C++ which is CS 110B. These two classes are the foundation to my programming knowledge and I feel that it does not really necessary for Information System major to take the Advance level of C++ which is the CS 110C class, obviously because software programming is not the main focus in Information System. Furthermore, I also took Introduction to Information System (CS 101), this class teaches us all the basic things you should know about computer systems such as what is Gigabyte, Megabyte, and ASCII code, etc. Personally, I feel that this class is not that useful for those of you who have basic knowledge of computer and networking, sadly though this class is a requirement for those who want to transfer to CSU/UC. Other than those computer related classes, another required courses that I had to take was Microeconomics (ECON 3), Macroeconomics (ECON 1), Financial Accounting (ACCT 1), Managerial Accounting (ACCT 3), Statistics (ECON 5), Mathematics for Business (MATH 75), English classes, and elective general education courses. I cannot tell you much about these classes because I did not enjoy all those classes myself, one advice though, really spend your time studying ECON 5 and ACCT 1 because it will be very useful for you later on when you transfer to University. For those of you that currently studying in City College of San Francisco and planning to transfer to San Francisco State University majoring in Business Administration, Assist.org will really help you out.

After I got my Associate degree I transferred to San Francisco State University which I took Information System 350, Business 360, Marketing 431, and Decision Science 412. Many people believe that ISYS 350 is one of the hardest classes for Information System major because it covers a lot of stuffs related to programming language such as Java and C#. I believe that this difficulty happens due to fact that many people do not have a strong background on programming language when they get into their University. So that, I really encourage you guys to take some basic classes about programming language. Throughout summer I took Information System 363 and International Business 330. Well, ISYS 363 should be an easy class for those of you who have some experiences with Microsoft Excel and Access. However, for those of you who do not have any experiences before, this class could be challenging for you since you need to do A LOT of stuffs related to Microsoft Excel and Access. So, you might want to learn some basic knowledge about Excel and Access before taking this class in order to give you a head start, but I believe that you guys will have a fun time with this class since it is the basic of our discipline. On the other hand though, do not ever take IBUS 330 on summer, I repeat DO NOT. This class is hard enough on long semester due to how much time you need to spend for this class. It requires you to watch 90 minutes videos and you need to stop at some point of the video to take notes which will take A LOT of your time, so you guys better not take this class with other hard classes such as DS 412 and Finance 350. This semester I am taking English 414, Finance 350, Management 405, Information System 463, and Information System 464. I cannot tell you guys much yet about these classes because I have not done with them yet, but I will put it down later on when I am done with these classes. I am not sure yet which classes I will take next semester, but I need to finish up my Segment III General Education as soon as possible in order being able to graduate. For those of you who curios of the degree road-map of this major, you can see Degree Roadmap in Business Administration – Information System. This link has a complete guideline on which classes you should take and when the best time for you to take them is.

Well, of course people in Information System could work at any place they want because almost every company would need Information System on their system. For me, my dream is to work at a car dealership working on their database because like what I've told you guys many times my real passion is on automobiles or working on something related to car. My advice for you guys that want to the same education path as mine is that you need to realize what Information System really is – what will you guys do on the future and what kind of studies you need to take in order to accomplish your dream. I learn from my mistake in which I believe that because I love gaming and computer stuffs, Information System would be fun things for me to do, but later on I realize that my thought was wrong. Nevertheless though I still enjoy my major, yet it is not as easy as I thought it would be, I believe that Information System is one of the hardest branches in Business. You guys should check out the YouTube video that I provided, this video gives you guys those advises that you guys need in order to be able to succeed in this discipline.



2 comments:

  1. There are so many classes that you have taken already that seem are beneficial towards your career. I really have no idea what those classes are really about because I am not in that field; However, they must be very informative. So far I have taken only a few courses that come close to relating to my field of Optometry. Some of them do make sense on why we need them because they give a broad perspective of our body and since the eyes are part of that system it makes sense to take those courses. Hopefully you will be done soon with your segment 3 courses so you can graduate soon. I already finished them; However I still have many other upper division courses I need to take in order to graduate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The video posted gives great advice. It’s interesting how he mentioned what you study in school might have nothing to do with your career. Explaining that one of the senior executives in the company that works on computers, got his graduate degree in archeology. However, the overall message of the video was how experience is what's important. As a student in college we sometimes forgot we really don't understand the career we are studying for until we actually have that career.

    ReplyDelete