Sunday, November 25, 2012

SAP and Is It Worth the Price?


So, I have been thinking lately about what kind of job I am going to do after I graduate from my university. I never really had any ideas of what kind of job I would do later on. I always feel that I am doing this day by day without even thinking what would my future looks like and how my study can lead me to become a bigger person. By writing this post, I want to share what my major has to offer and how promising it is in current economy. Well, first of all, information system is a very broad thing to be explained precisely, however, the general idea of information system is to organize a group of raw data in order to be processed or "executed," so that it will be useful and meaningful for common people. I always believe that my major would guarantee me a job after I graduate from university because of how "broad" and how important my discipline is, however, that might not be the case these days due to the fact that we are having a financial crisis in United States (which I hope will end soon). Nowadays there are a lot of companies that prefer to hire a Computer Science graduate than an Information System graduate since they feel that Computer Science graduate is the complete package, they can do the language, maintaining IT department, and database should not be a big deal for them to handle.

However, we there is this program that will make us Information System graduate has a more promising future than those Computer Science graduates. This software is SAP which stands for Systems Applications and Products in Data Processing. It was created by a company in Mannheim, Germany, the company states that "it is the world's largest inter-enterprise software company and the world's fourth-largest independent software supplier, overall." This software basically works as a database in which all the information and process of the organization being stored together, so that it would be much easier for the user to process all the data they needed. This program requires you to take additional courses in order to get the certificate, however, keep in mind that these courses are not easy and could be easily be one of the hardest courses you ever taken. So, what is the reward of taking all these hard courses? Well, people with SAP certificate have a higher overall salary than a "normal" Information System graduate. Based on Dhoho blog, the base salary for SAP analyst salary is anywhere between $125,000 to $150,000 per project. Dhoho blog also has some brief descriptions about the SAP certificate and how useful they are. On the other hand, based on Top 10 Jobs in Information Technology  article by Rachel Zupek, the “general” Information System major only falls around $75,000 per year. Looking at those data makes me more motivated to achieve my certificate for the SAP in San Francisco State University before I graduate. I am hoping that I will have better chance of getting a job in my discipline as a SAP analyst or manager with the certificate in my hand. In the end, getting a job requires good luck as well, so for those of you who are trying to get a job, I wish you luck and I hope this blog will help expand your knowledge about Information System. Below is a YouTube video that explains about SAP in a great detail, I hope you guys enjoy it.

















2 comments:

  1. After reading this blog I viewed doho blog and found out it takes about a week to become SAP certified. The course cost about $500. The blog offered a cheaper approach by downloading the SAP manual to prepare for the SAP exam to become certified. If the benefits really do come from this certification it seems like a good investment. If nothing more, another achievement to put on your resume can't hurt. I think becoming SAP certified is a great idea for anyone pursuing a business career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be a great idea to be certified in SAP. People are always looking for the best of the best when hiring for a position. I think being SAP certified would allow you to get a job in your field even if you do not have prior experience.

    ReplyDelete